Pets may develop issues with their heart health throughout all stages of their development. We understand how difficult it can be to determine that your pet has a heart condition, but rest assured our team of licensed veterinarians can help you and your pet overcome these types of diagnoses. Call us at 416-762-5558 to learn more about our in-house cardiology services.
What types of heart problems can dogs and cats have?
Genetics, lifestyle, age, diet, and environment all play a role in a pet's cardiovascular health. The most common types of issues we see among our pet population are the following:
- Heart disease (pets can be born with it or they can develop it over time)
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (caused by enlargement or thickening of the heart)
- Valvular degeneration
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Heart arrhythmias
How are heart conditions treated in pets?
There are a number of different medical treatments that the veterinarian may recommend depending on your pet's specific condition and situation:
- Prescription medication
- Diet changes, including medicated diets and low-sodium foods
- Surgery (e.g. to insert a pacemaker or to fix torn valves)
- Limited exercise to reduce strain
- Supplements and vitamins