... ...

Holiday Toxins

The holiday season is an exciting time, but it's important to remember that pets are frequently exposed to toxins during the holidays. As a pet owner, you will want to make sure you are familiar with holiday toxins so that you can keep your pet safe. If your pet ingests something toxic, you can depend on our veterinarians at Jane Animal Hospital in Toronto.

Holiday Toxins

Common Holiday Toxins for Pets

Human metabolisms and animal metabolisms are very different. Many substances that are safe for people can potentially be deadly to pets. In addition to food and beverages, animals may try to eat plants or holiday decorations. Potential holiday toxins include:

  • Christmas ornaments
  • Tinsel
  • Chocolate
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Candies that contain xylitol
  • Ham and turkey bones
  • Raw dough
  • Poinsettias
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Candles
  • Liquid potpourri

Make sure you are familiar with these toxins and keep them out of the reach of your pet. If you are going to be hosting guests, talk to them about holiday toxins that could be harmful to your pet.

Signs of Poisoning in Pets

Poisoning symptoms can vary based on the substance your pet has eaten and the amount of the substance that it has consumed. Signs that your pet has eaten something toxic include:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Bloody stool or urine
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Lethargy
  • Wobbling when standing or walking
  • Drooling
  • Foaming at the mouth
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Pale or blue gums
  • Swelling

If your pet shows any of these symptoms, you should call your veterinarian immediately.

What to Do If Your Pet Has Ingested Toxins

Even if you are not sure that your pet has eaten something toxic, it's best to talk to your vet about your pet's symptoms and behavior. During this call, you want to make sure you give your vet as much information as you can. Let us know what your pet's symptoms are, what the substance was, and when you think the exposure may have occurred.

Depending on your pet's symptoms, the veterinarian may recommend that you bring your pet in for a pet exam right away or suggest that you treat your pet at home. Don't try to induce vomiting unless you've been directed to do so by your vet. Certain toxins can be more dangerous when they are vomited up.

Reach Out to Our Veterinarians in Toronto

There are many foods, beverages, and decorations that can potentially be dangerous to pets during the holidays. If your pet has consumed a holiday toxin, it can get professional treatment at Jane Animal Hospital. Call us today at (416) 762-5558 if you would like to learn more about toxins or to schedule a pet exam.

Schedule an Appointment Today!

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule


8:30 am-9:00 pm


8:30 am-9:00 pm


8:30 am-9:00 pm


8:30 am-9:00 pm


8:30 am-9:00 pm


9:00 am-5:00 pm